Before becoming an entrepreneur I worked with many of them closely for five years. I watched them start, grow, exit, ruin, and shut down their companies. You’d think there would be few things about starting a company that would surprise me. You would be wrong.
During my still-very-short tenure as an entrepreneur I’ve discovered many things that have surprised me. Here is my list of 5 Dark Secrets of Entrepreneurship. I’m sure it’s not exhaustive.
- An entrepreneur, you feel stupid much more often than you feel smart
- Everyone is your greatest fan when you start, but support wears off quickly
- Regardless of your confidence level, you will often experience crises of confidence
- Nothing is ever right on the first try
- You will take everything personally